I want to say that with the recession and the lack of funds people have, fashion has taken a minimalistic approach. With a lot of color palettes steering away from intricate patterns or fabrics, majority of women are using basic colors to make their outfits visually interesting.
So WTF is color blocking??
Color blocking is wearing strategically placed complimentary yet contrasting BOLD colors in one outfit.
Using a color wheel can help you pick the right colors for your outfit.
- Find complimentary colors using the rule of two-thirds.
- Pick a color you really want to wear
- then draw an equilateral triangle(all 3 sides will be of equal length) have other colors at each corner.
- Pick one other color (besides the one that you started with) that touched one of the corners of the triangle
Tips for Color Blocking:
- Stick to 2 – 3 colors
- Pair it with plain neutrals
- Don’t wear the bright pieces on your trouble areas, it will make pooches, poofs and padding look 10x worse.
- Use separates to build an outfit, not just a single garment with 3 stacked colors built in
- Play with it!